Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Importance of Gratitude


We all have those days when nothing seems to be going right, the bills seem larger than the income, energy is low, and we find ourselves caught in a funk that we cannot shake.  Face it, life can be trying at times, even for the happiest and most positive people out there.  The question is, "What do we do to pull ourselves out of our slump and find our footing?"

I find that writing a list of all the things in my life I am grateful for really turns my attitude around.  Sure, it won't fix the "problem" at hand, but it helps me to remember how truly lucky and blessed I am.  This doesn't need to be, and probably should not be, a complicated process.  Just grab a notebook, or the back of an envelope if that is all that you have handy, and write down the things in your life that you are grateful for.  Don't even think about it.  Just write it down. 

For fun, I will do my quick list right now....

My puppies
My flowers in the back yard
My friends
My husband
The dishes are done
I know what I am making for dinner, and I don't have to go to the store to get anything
We are out of our excessive heat warning for a day
The great book I am reading
I don't have any commitments today
I don't have to get up and go to work because I work from home
Taking today off will give me the energy to be fired up tomorrow

So, while some of these things may seem trivial....it was quick, simple, and painless.  Of course, I could continue on and on and on...but you get the point.  Sometimes all it takes is writing down 5 or 10 or even 15 things you are truly grateful for, even just in this moment, to make a difference in your outlook.

Next time you are feeling a little more like Eyeore than Tigger, put the bounce back in your step with a quick Gratitude List and watch that negative attitude fade away!

Until Next Time, Live in Gratitude....